Position: Senior Technical Support Engineer- Illumina NGS (Part-Time)
Location: 100% Remote
The Senior Technical Support Engineer -NGS will provide outstanding technical support to clinical laboratories specific to next generation sequencing equipment and processes for one of the country's leading biotechnology companies. This position will resolve advanced troubleshooting requests, assess, and understand root cause and failure modes to determine solutions and implement change. The Senior Technical Support Engineer- NGS will be well versed in the NGS OEM landscape and serve as a SME for NGS equipment selection, service processes, and support evolution, advising senior leadership and championing improvement efforts. This individual will handle NGS service support- ensuring appropriate training and instructions are created and disseminated.
- Provide technical support for NGS equipment
- Provide senior level escalation expertise across the global business for NGS equipment. Illumina NextSeq Field Service experience is required.
- Create experiment plans and coordinate studies to reproduce customer issues and find root cause of failure.
- Utilizes strong data analysis skills to interpret log files and reports to support troubleshooting, tracking, and trending efforts, identify root cause, and new failure modes.
- Create and interpret data queries to support equipment investigations.
- Summarize and document troubleshooting activities, create and present executive summaries.
- Apply and teach excellent problem-solving abilities and advanced troubleshooting in all initiatives.
- Identify top NGS bottlenecks and needs, initiate improvement efforts.
- Use data, company objectives and customer needs to identify improvement opportunities, prioritize opportunities based on value add.
- Lead or participate in improvement efforts, pulling together justification, prioritization, and team members as appropriate.
- Provide strong thought leadership.
- Apply exceptional mechanical and analytical aptitude to all initiatives and projects.
- Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Ability to prioritize, plan, and drive tasks to completion.
- Develop service and support infrastructure for NGS.
- Develop and document advanced troubleshooting methodology.
- Partner with training teams and service personnel to develop and deploy equipment installation, maintenance, and repair processes.
- Act as NGS SME for new products and product evolution.
- Develop and maintain technical mastery of NGS OEM landscape and technology.
- Provide guidance regarding selection and implementation of NGS equipment for new and evolving Exact products.
- Work effectively as a team member, contributing to a collaborative & inclusive work environment, supporting company initiatives, and driving improvements within and outside of the team unit.
- Maintain a high degree of approachability and strong active listening skills.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with a positive attitude including start at curious and assuming positive intent.
- Take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Ability to create and present senior leadership summaries and professional updates.
- Actively engage with customers to seek pain points and feedback. Works cross functionally with peers to affect changes.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, communicate readily, consistently, and truthfully with everyone.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and build solid working relationships with peers at all levels of the organization.
- Act with an inclusion mindset and model these behaviors for the organization.
- Ability to work in ambiguous situations and respond to new information and unexpected circumstances.
- Ability to solicit and act on feedback and input.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Highly reliable, self-starter; can be counted on to complete assignments and work independently.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Perform all service activities in compliance with all relevant safety and regulatory bodies (e.g., OSHA, CLIA, etc.).
- Ability to act with an inclusion mindset and model these behaviors for the organization.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 50% of a typical working day. Ability to work standing for approximately 50% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to employ gross motor and fine motor skills to troubleshoot and replicate maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability and means to travel between local Madison locations.
- Ability to travel 20% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Technology, Life Sciences, or field as outlined in the essential duties.
- 4+ years direct experience using, servicing, or troubleshooting NGS equipment.
- 8+ years of experience in technical support, field support, or engineering.
- 8+ years of experience leading initiatives and driving cross functional consensus.
- Demonstrated proficiency of statistical and mathematical methods.
- Demonstrated understanding of clinical lab regulations.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Advanced degree
- 3+ years of experience working in a medical device field in a regulated environment, e.g., ISO 13485, FDA GMP, or USDA.
- Lean Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing Certification.
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques, such as nucleic acid isolation, RNA/DNA quantification, PCR, and RT-PCR.
- Working knowledge of CAP and CLIA regulations.
- Process and workflow mindset
Medasource provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.