Position: Orientation & Mobility Specialist
Location: Austin, Texas
Duration: 12-month Contract
- Major Responsibilities and Duties – Individual will perform the following responsibilities and duties independently or have specific elements that assist the Vision Services team collective effort:
- Census Report: Individual will be responsible for maintaining a campus wide census report for all residents. The census report serves as the tool for identification and services for individuals who are visually impaired, including individuals who also have hearing loss (deafblind), mental illness, and other conditions important to the resident’s programming. Census report includes each resident’s vision impairment severity level (e.g., totally blind, legally blind, severe vision impairment, moderate vision impairment) as well as other elements essential to ensuring quality services for residents with visual impairments.
- Identification: Individual will assist with eye medical exams and complete a variety of evaluations:
- Optometry Clinics: Proposer collaborates with members in the Medical Department and contract Optometrist to provide monthly optometry exams. In preparation for the Optometry Exam, Individual works with medical staff to determine who will be examined. Individual then completes an evaluation for each resident that summarizes eye medical information and includes functional vision elements such as ability to use vision at different distances, etc. During the Optometry Clinic, the Optometrist reviews the evaluation report and discusses with the Individual the findings. The evaluation then becomes part of the Optometry final report.
- Ophthalmology & Other Eye Medical Exams: The Individual will collaborate with the primary care physicians and other members of the resident’s team to determine the need for specialty eye medical exams such as ophthalmology and retina specialists. When appropriate, the Individual will accompany the resident to the exam to assist and report findings that may not be included in the final report.
- EYEGLASSES: As part of the Vision Services team, Individual will work with other Habilitation Therapies staff to provide eyeglasses for AuSSCL residents:
- Individual maintains eye medical reports for each resident to provide historical eye medical information.
- Individual also maintains a census of all residents on campus that summarizes eye medical history, including exam dates, evaluation dates, visual acuities and fields, and services.
- Vision Services Team Lead – As designated lead, Individual will perform the following program administrative duties:
- Coordinates Vision Services coverage with the other Vision Services contractors.
- Meets with Habilitation Therapies Director to receive guidance and provide update activities.
- Facilitates short vision services team meetings twice per month to ensure contract services are effective and efficient.
Medasource provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.