Medical Laboratory Scientist II
6 month contract-to-hire
Our large healthcare client is looking to add a Medical Laboratory Scientist II to their Pathology Laboratory. Under general supervision, this resource will perform complex analyses on a variety of sample types. Maintains proper records and utilizes independent judgement to generate acceptable test results. Responsible for quality, efficiency and safety in the performance of laboratory functions. Serves as a fully effective and participative member of the multidisciplinary patient care services team. Independently troubleshoots and resolves problems and documents corrective actions. Assists with development and modification of procedures and assumes additional responsibilities when appropriate.
- Performs waived, moderate and high complexity testing using manual and automated processes. Complies with all regulatory agency guidelines (CLIA 88, TJC, CAP, FDA, etc.) and addresses concerns as needed.
- Identifies, resolves problems and takes corrective action in evaluating testing procedures, patient results and specimen integrity.
- Completes competencies as required by regulatory standards.
- Prepares reagents and controls, preps samples for further testing (e.g. embedding, extractions, staining, etc.).
- Participates in maintenance of inventory based on departmental needs.
- Independently identifies and resolves analytical problems, troubleshoots equipment issues, and evaluates specimen integrity.
- Serves as a Clinical Resource for others and promotes teamwork.
- Interprets and records testing and quality control results.
- Integrates various lab processes such as operating instrumentation, resolving customer issues, documenting QC as needed and finalizing results.
- Gathers information for Proficiency Testing follow-up
- Attends mandatory education, training, and in-service meetings specific to department.
- Accountable for orientation (e.g. assignments, goal setting, communication of needs, attending required orientation meetings, etc.)
- Reviews Quality Control and determines the acceptability of testing, patient results, and instrument function by applying the principles of QA/QC daily.
- Participates in quality improvement.
- Responds to clinical and customer concerns, resolves customer issues in a confidential manner, employing integrity and discretion.
- Reviews and suggests revisions to procedure manuals where appropriate.
- Assists with TJC- and CAP- readiness.
- Keeps work areas well stocked, clean, neat and orderly.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient knowledge of clinical laboratory processes, analytical procedures, and various laboratory equipment including routine maintenance and calibration.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform basic computer skills which would be used in a laboratory setting.
- Ability to perform mathematical and statistical operations for recording and evaluating lab results. Ability to follow detailed written or verbal instructions accurately.
- Ability to handle potentially infectious materials, such as blood and body fluid specimens, observing proper safety regulations and procedures.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient population(s) served. Ability to demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs.
- Bachelor’s degree and appropriate certification by a nationally recognized program, e.g. ASCP or equivalent.
- Two years of clinical laboratory experience in an accredited hospital or reference laboratory setting is required.
Medasource provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.