Position: Laboratory Technician
Location: Jamaica Plain, MA
Duration: 6-month contract w/ possible extension
The Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory at the Department of Public Health is in a search of Laboratory Technician.
- Associate's degree or higher with a major in medical technology, chemistry, bacteriology, environmental science, chemical engineering, biological sciences or similar field.
- General l knowledge of the techniques used to handle and transport multiple types of specimens to maintain integrity of laboratory tests.
- Knowledge of the practices and procedures, including safety practices and procedures followed in laboratory work in the assigned specialization such as histology, biochemistry, cytology, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, or serology.
- Knowledge f the techniques used in the handling and transportation of laboratory specimens.
- General knowledge of laboratory testing techniques and methods including sample collection.
- Knowledge of sanitation and sterilization methods, techniques and procedures followed in a laboratory, as well as the proper methods used in disposal of laboratory materials.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an aptitude for interacting effectively with the staff, couriers, providers and other agencies.
- Data entry
- Labeling media
- Performing calibrations of pipettes & thermometers
- Planting of primary clinical specimens (BSL2 only)
- Packaging waste for autoclaving or incineration
Medasource provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.