Job Title: Cytotechnologist
Organization Unit: Anatomic Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: 1st Shift, rotating weekends
Location of Job: Chapel Hill, NC
- Performs specialized and complex technical tasks in screening slides of clinical specimens to detect evidence of cancer or other pathological or diseased conditions.
- Duties include marking abnormalities, recording diagnosis, an filing cases for subsequent review with pathologist.
- Complies listing of patients for follow-up analysis of specimens. Prepares and analyzes subsequent specimens for cell changes and reports findings to pathologist.
- Filters and spins fluids (centrifuge), prepares slides and stains specimens. Classifies slides, records classification, and presents slides with unusual cell structures to pathologist for further examination.
- Prepares various solutions as required maintains inventory of supplies reorders as required.
- Provides technical instruction and guidance to cytology students, reviews slides screened by students assists in training of new employees.
- Receives blood/fluid specimens sent to the laboratory or collects specimens from patients observing strict principles of asepsis and anti-sepsis to prevent infection of patients and contamination of specimens.
- Reviews patient history for each case maintains files of slides, diagnoses and laboratory reports.
- Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology.
- CT(ASC) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within one year of hire date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology, no years of experience required.
Medasource provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.